Two-Hand-Operated Locking Knife for the German market

Just finished the Native lite-weight proto. Testing now. I used the Native because we have a good lock-up and a strong self close. The blade is a bit narrower and lighter. A small hole, chamfered (about 5mm) for trademark, full flat.

Peter, email your address to me (sglesser@spyderco.com) and we'll send it to you for testing and maybe certification......possible passaround? If we can get an OK, we'll move forward with this first model.

sal

Just finished the Native lite-weight proto. Testing now. I used the Native because we have a good lock-up and a strong self close. The blade is a bit narrower and lighter. A small hole, chamfered (about 5mm) for trademark, full flat.

Great news. I'm really looking forward to this knife. Thanks for making this happen!

Last edited:
Wäre es möglich, zumindest ein paar Fotos hier in den allgemein zugänglichen Bereich zu setzen?

Wäre es möglich, zumindest ein paar Fotos hier in den allgemein zugänglichen Bereich zu setzen?
Sicher wäre das möglich, nur habe ich es absichtlich nicht getan, damit hier keine Vor-Diskussion startet, bevor der erste Pass-Around-Bericht eines MF-Mitglieds veröffentlicht wurde. Ich betrachte das als fair, denn jene MF-Mitglieder (es sind 5) nehmen zusätzlichen Aufwand auf sich und investieren ins Forum durch ihre Berichterstattung sowohl Zeit und Mühe, als auch Geld ;)

Thanx much Peter. Good information. We have no problem adding a swedge to the blade.

sal

Hi Sal, Hi Peter, Hi giovanni

@adding a swedge:

What I really love on Spyderco-knives is, that they are build for the hand and not for the eye. A swedge will create unnecessary hot spots on both thumbs when you do typical cutting tasks like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2636940/Swedgeergonomics.jpg

Yes, it will look more dramatic with the false edge.
No, it will not improve ergonomics on an EDC-blade.

Tobias, who is really locking forward to this knife.

Last edited:
Just a small idea I had after reading the passaround thread:
It still seems to be possible to open the prototype with one hand. While I read that I was playing with my Böker Plus AKS 74 Mini Automatik S30V. It's an automatic knife that fires open when pushing the button. So not really a valid solution for our problem, but: what if we reverse the spring? Then you have to press the release button with one hand and the spring will keep the blade in closed position. You can't use the hand that pushes the button to open the blade (if you release the button, the blade gets locked again). You have to use the second hand to overcome the spring to open the blade. In open position the blade locks with a the button again.

So my idea is: Use a Manix with modified Ball Bearing Lock that keeps the blade locked when closed and add a spring so that you can't flip the knife open after unlocking :)

Edit: Patent pending (just joking, but if you do this I want a free knife :D )

Ouch! I wouldn't like to use such a Knife. If the power of the spring goes toward closing the knife, one would always be in danger to cut his fingers, when accidently unlocked. Except you build in a double safety button, which makes the whole thing complicated. And complicated locks, so it seems to me, don't sell.

Thanx for the head's up Peter. I've been on the road for a few months. With the latest knife test failing, I guess we're back to square one? Thoughts?

sal

I guess we're back to square one? Thoughts?
Already in this thread:

What about a Southard without a millet slot for one hand opening? The top of the hole could be used as a nail nick. Another benefit is the fact, that you don't have to change your benchmark and one handed closing would be possible.

To cover the hole and top of the blade both scales would have to be bigger, and the flipper has to go.

If the entire blade is submerged below the handle, and there is no flipper, how would one access the blade? Even with two hands?

Just take one of the Southard-models, remove the flipper and submerge the blade so that only the upper part of the hole works as a nail nick. The Positron is pretty close to what I mean, can you open it one-handed without the flipper?

I'll check when the production run comes in.

Right now, we're going to go Kimbertom's route and make a Native with a "German" style blade.
So, what about the Positron?

Thoughts?
I'm with teelicht and Pitter:
If you don't want to use a really really tight slipjoint and want to keep a spyderhole, then the blade has to be submerged into the handle.

You could prototype new scales for a Southard, Nilakka (probably the easiest) or Positron which cover the spyderhole almost completely.

If that's a success there is probably still the issue of spydiedropping and/or wrist-flicking the blade open, at least with the popular regular locks (liner, frame, back)...

I know you said you want to use a lock on the knife.
But since from my experience a really really tight slipjoint fixes the one-hand-opening problem completely, what about a slipjoint with an additional lock which can be applied if necessary/wanted?
Extrema Ratio has a type of additional lock on at least one of their knives.

Last edited:
Can you do a Manix 2 that wil also lock in closed position so that you have to release the lock with one hand and open the blade with the other?
(when releaseing the lock with one hand, the blade should not be so loose that it falls out itself)

I'll work on the concept of using a submerged hole to be the nail nick. I think I can do that with the Native. Will let you know. I'll send it to Peter when it's finished.

I'm also thinking of making a Solo model with a submerged hole.

sal

I'll work on the concept of using a submerged hole to be the nail nick. I think I can do that with the Native.
You already have that submerged hole in the Positron. So how does that work out? (3rd and last time I ask)

The Positron is a flipper and can easily be inertia opened even if the flipper tag is removed. It is also made in Taiwan where we have large minimums. I'd rather experiment in the US where I can make smaller quantities. I don't know how popular this folder will be and thousands of pieces sitting on a shelf for a long time is not good for business.

sal

Back