German penknive

@ Sal & Forumites

I think we should take a multilevel approach:

1. To have something nice and dressy with a german/european touch.

I would say that the easiest way would be to have a new Kopa or Kiwi flavour with either SAMBAR Stag or BOG OAK Inlays made.

pro
+ existing models - no development time
+ small enough run numbers
+ no extra tooling costs
+ no long waiting time to get something on the way
+ a broader market base as collectors worldwide would be interested (especially if it's a new Kopa) and not only a few german forum members (we are talking a minimum of maybe 500 pieces)

con
- no new design
- no specific connection to Germany or the Messerforum

2. A new Model with a connection to the MF and the forumites

I'd like to see a design from a knifemaker that participates here on the forum.

So Kevin, Jürgen or Peter would be an obvious choice but there are others aswell, maybe we can get a design contest running...

Unlike the development idea behind the UK and DK Penknife we are not bound by legal restrictions. There is no real "need" for a german knife so it can be anything that we think is now lacking in the current Spyderco line, benefits all ELU's and has a german/european twist.

my personal ideas:

+ 3.5-4"
+ flat ground
+ RWL34 or N690Co
+ alien green G11
+ steel liners
+ back lock or the improved ball lock from the Pakal folder
+ STR's mini Wave or the Pakal Wave
+ 4-way anodized titanium clip

I'm looking forward to your comments.

greetings

hannes

We are talking about a German penknive.
We are NOT talking about a Messerforum knive (unless Pitter wants to do).

We should keep in mind that Spyderco is already doing R&D for many different new models, choosing a completely new design would likely mean a long wait as well.

Kiwi or Kopa variations seem like an obvious choice to me, although there already was a Kiwi with stag handles. :hmpf:

Else than that, I think Hannes has quite some good ideas :super:

Keno

Hannes W said:
I think we should take a multilevel approach:

1. To have something nice and dressy with a german/european touch.
As there a lot of forum members outside Germany I fully agree! German is our common language, but there are different countries too. Anyway we share our interests for knifes with fun :super:
Hannes W said:
2. A new Model with a connection to the MF and the forumites
See above ... ;), this doesn't mean that it only could be a "MF-knive" IMHO
Hannes W said:
+ 3.5-4"
+ flat ground
+ RWL34 or N690Co
+ alien green G11
+ steel liners
+ back lock or the improved ball lock from the Pakal folder
+ STR's mini Wave or the Pakal Wave
+ 4-way anodized titanium clip
I guess these are good inputs! I personally would prefer N690Co (as Austrian patriotic input :steirer: ) but please clear me up, what is G11? I think you mean G-10.

Ohhhh, I hope for a brilliant, wonderful, excellent, great, marvellous, ... Spydy :D :staun: :super:

Sal said:
Blade size would be the first parameter to decide.

So are we thinking Mercedes? Audi or BMW? Probably Porsche?

sal

Okay, guys, size matters...first

Anyway, I would prefer an all new model for a German penknive (with stag! yeah), I am not in a hurry, I already have a knive...

Last edited:
@cheez

I think that the Kiwi only came in Jigged bone, smooth bone and SS

@peter

G11 is a semitransparent variation/cousin of G10 see also:Kevin Wilkins

g

hannes

giovanni said:
Okay, guys, size matters...first

Giovanni you are absolutely right - let's proceed in a more stuctured way:
  • First the size:
    We are in Germany, so we have no size limit, but I would prefer to have it as an edc, so I vote for 3,5'' (=8,89cm) blade length.
  • Second the steel:
    If stag becomes mandatory for the handle, I would prefer a tool steel (A2/O1/O2) for the blade. If this is not possible from the factory, Germany as a high-tech country requires at least a PM-steel blade for a German Penknife. Perfect in this case would be a Böhler PM Steel (K110 I guess is the right one - or does anybody know a similar German product?).
  • Third - we didn't talk about #3 so far, so let me propose the handle as #3:
    I can follow the argument that stag is typically German, (which doesn't require all Germans to carry stag handled knives) but I believe everybody outside of Germany will expect stag on a German knive.
    What shape should this handle have? Can this be discussed independently from the lock. I don't think so. Guess that this will be the most controverse discussion and I'm looking forward to it.
    So my proposal for this item is: If we have stag and tool steel than the direction is clearly towards a slipjoint.
    If we have stag and titanium and S30V a frame lock or liner look would siut also.
  • Forth - I propose the discussion about the clip:
    Stag and clip? Hmm will this work out?
    Spyderco without clip? Hmm will this work out?
    The UK Penknife shows me how this can work. People who need a clip can use it and people who don't like one can get rid of it without having many holes left.

May I ask everyone to post in this stucture or should we first discuss the structure in general?

Thank you.

Finaly we can perform a survey to clarify the last open points for the specs of a German Spyderco Penknife.

giovanni said:
Anyway, I would prefer an all new model for a German penknive (with stag! yeah), I am not in a hurry, I already have a knive...
I support this argument too, because I do also have a knife and I think this unique opportunity should take its time...

Take care

Last edited:
If the stag comes from india, I pass. :argw:

I'm more for oak, if organic components are necessary.
Böhler steel sounds great, or Elmax Superclean from Sweden.

Oh and a nicker blade gets my vote, too! :super: High polished please. :haemisch:

The UK Penknife is very nice, but a german knife should have everything the UK knife is inevitably missing. Lock and a longer blade. Not much though, just a tad over UK limit :hehe:

The edge could be a little more curved (think Paramilitary, not Calypso) but otherwise the blade style of the other Spyderco penknives (and Military, and Calypso, ...) with a big round hole would be fine, as well as the high sitting wire clip.

Oak is typical german, but not very attractive. Stag would be nice if it doesn't make the handle too thick. S30V should be the choice, I do not think that Spyderco would/should be willing to stock in and experiment with yet another steel.

Lock? Backlock of course :)

Thank you,Ritchie.
I think a structure is a good idea.

1. I think we are moving towards a 3 1/2 inch blade
(also my personal favorite)
2. A German penknive should be used for "Brotzeit"
also
(@sal: this is very southern German, my dictionary
says this is a short break for a snack, but this is only
half of the truth, Brotzeit is a way of life taking a
cold meal cutting bread, bacon, radish etc. -
sometimes also a kind of picnic in the office or
a trecking meal)
Therefore I would not like a toolsteel and prefer
something easy to use for cutting onions also. PM is
fine.
3. You know, I like stag (maybe oak) and backlock
4. Clip is a must - we are talking about a spyderco

IMO

Giovanni,

since you have already stated multiple times what YOU like, how about hearing other opionions as well? :ahaa:

Thanks for you cooperation.

Keno

cheez said:
Giovanni,

since you have already stated multiple times what YOU like, how about hearing other opionions as well? :ahaa:

Thanks for you cooperation.

Keno

Okay, I wont´say anything for 48 hours... ;)

Hi all
i would request for a blade at least 4" long,
better 4,5 or 5".
Why?
Because we can!
Design?
A Nicker would be my first choice, but i`m not sure how it will look with a hole ??
Something like the old Renegade would be nice too :lechz:
I had one and sold it :( shame on me.
Steel?
If i cant get handforged damascus :rolleyes: i`ll take anything stainless.
I`m sure Spyderco will not sell us a soft rubber blade :D
Handle?
I fear if it will be stag there would be steel bolsters, making the knife a bit heavy.
How about jigged bone or jigged wood?
Clip?
Clip!

Sorry for my englisch and howdie friends.

Last edited:
HankEr said:
...I do not think that Spyderco would/should be willing to stock in and experiment with yet another steel.
I would prefer N690.
It's a steel from a german-speaking Country (Austria, the little thingy in the south*) and Spyderco is already using it: Volpe, made in Italy @ Fox Cutlery (afaik).

BTW: Something like the Volpe, just with Oak or Stag inlays in the steel handle - that would imho be an awful "german knife". Even though Germany is known for its engineering, I am not comfortable with a steel handle as "typical german".

*Perhaps we should not forget Switzerland & Austria. Ok, it's not easy to make a knife thats legal in Switzerland...

When I read the different postings, I noticed there are some things the come again and again.

A big blade Yes I want! 4’’ it o.k. but for the German penknife it should be „10 Zentimeter“ (3,937 inch).
PM balde steel Yes I want! RWL34? CPM-S30V?
Full flat grind Yes I want a! For example like Manix.
Backlock Yes I want!
Stag handle Yes I want! German Oak is also o.k. because it is a synonnym for strength.
Clip Hmm, stag handle and clip? May be a very short clip over the bolster or the but (½ inch long, ¾ inch wide). And please dont drill 12 holes! Fix the clip with the axis srew. Without clip would be also o.k.
Design What’s about the Hunter (Not the Pionner!)from Dialex? And instead of the damask Bolster some from titan to keep it light?

Last edited:
>>klingler:
Design What’s about the Hunter (Not the Pionner!)from Dialex? And instead of the damask Bolster some from titan to keep it light?
<<

YES !
I like!
Does this link work?
http://users.pcnet.ro/dialex/Blade30.jpg

:super:

and dont forget, it`a design study,
think of plain steel, plain bolsters and payable inlays :glgl:

bigbore said:
YES !
I like!
Does this link work?

Yes, the link works.

If this design will be realised I consider to by 10 knives - for the rest of my live and for my childrens too. :D

Today I had the chance to hit the drawing board and this is how a Nicker would look like with a hole:

It's just a thumbnail, so click the picture to enlarge.

The locking mechanism would be similar to the C50 Centofante 2 which also has a long slender blade with a slim handle.

ok, let me talk some additional specs: bolsters stainless; stag or bone (plz un-jigged) scales; double liners - one locking; hitech stainless or lowtech carbon steel blade

Tell me what you think... :D

And yes, I know it looks kinda crude, but it's just a sketch, to get the idea across. :eek:

Ookami

Last edited:
Back