German penknive

giovanni

Super Moderator
Hi guys,
we have the unique chance to talk about a Spyderco knive only for the german market. The chance to talk about how a German spyderco should look and work and which materials it should have. And we have the chance to talk about this with Mr. Sal Glesser himself.

We should use this chance to get a knive designed by the german forum.

First idea (I hope there will be much more and different ideas):

What is typically German? First, it is typically German that Germans don´t like the question what´s typically German. So let´s leave this topic. ;)

There are no legal limits to the blades length in Germany, so it should be slightly bigger than a penknive otherwhere.

My first idea is a knive inspired by the native, the blade 1 cm (1/2 inch) longer, flat grind with a very little false edge, a good German blade steel, the knive made in Managio, Italy, one handle side stag, the other side stainless steel, carried only right hand, tip up. Backlock, clip for deep pocket carry.

Last edited:
Fine Idea!

On of the "typical" German things is that most of us like cars and motorsport. So what do you think about a Carbon handle?

Uwe

giovanni said:
a good German blade steel,
Perhaps even a carbon steel (yummy, rusty - but sharp!)?

giovanni said:
the knive made in Managio, Italy,
Why?

giovanni said:
one handle side stag, the other side stainless steel,
I don't like this combo. If stag, I would prefer it on both sides.

giovanni said:
carried only right hand,
Why?

giovanni said:
:super:

giovanni said:
Backlock,
Or a linerlock like the old Puma-Frevert-Knives. Or "just" a slipjoint...

giovanni said:
clip for deep pocket carry.
With stag on both sides there would be only two very small notches necessary on each side (ambidextrous), if Spyderco's incredible wire-clip (picture) would be used.
Anyone, who wants to carry the knife without a clip, would not have a big ugly hole in the handle

it should be an nicker-style blade with a spyderhole in form of a pretzel.
handles made of stag
lanyard that looks like a chamois beard (gamsbart)
rawhide leather holster (lederhose), shaped like a stein (masskrug)

this would be REAL german...

i think a folding nicker would be something real new :D

spyderco and stag - sorry, thats like schwaben und baden :))))

i think a backlock, with handle material ( maybe a nice wood, but no stag!! not all german guys are from bavaria) , droppoint blade.

maybe theres an interest in a design, - sal - please send me a mail.
i hope your wife enjoy the titanium chopsticks :) - you remember??

well, there is some interest in a german penknive.

Spyderco and carbon steel is a combination that doesn´t
work...
oak wood instead of stag would also be nice

let´s talk about it...then it may be reality some day

I was thinking to begin a thread for this concept. Wow, you guys are quick :)

Thanx, Giovanni.

No rules, no limits, well except it has to have a round hole in the blade ;)

Blade size would be the first parameter to decide.

So are we thinking Mercedes? Audi or BMW? Probably Porsche?

I appreciate the interest.

sal

I'd love to see a really big folder by Spyderco. We're thinking Mercedes S-Klasse here. A Bob Lum Chinese Folder on steroids would be great (with an 5" blade maybe) or a collaboration with Jens Anso. I've heard you consider something along this line. If so, please make it happen soon. Since there are no restrictions in Germany on blade lenghts for folders other than autos I think you could sell a lot of them here.

On a second thought, a collaboration with a German knifemaker would be even better. Some renowned german knifemakers are members of this forum. Just recently Jürgen Schanz has caught a lot of attention with the Cherusker Schanz G1, a production version of one of his custom folders, so there is definitely a market for such a collaboration. A Spyderco version of Kevin Wilkins's Ryback folder for instance should be very popular. The blade even has a hole in it already. :super:

Just my .02,

Michael

Last edited:
5 inch blade is fine (I am waiting for the full sized Bison, too) but not for this concept.
This knive should be an ideal EDC to become a popular seller.
I prefer 3 1/2 to 4 inch, for me personally 3 1/2.

Hello Sal,
nice to "meet" you :p
I think also, a length of 3" would be ideal for a EDC.

And ... droppoint, flat ground, backlock, 1095 :staun: (or VG 10 :rolleyes: ), 14 mm Spydiehole :p :lechz: :hehe:

greets

Markus

Okay, a german knife is big, has a steel handle, wooden inlays (german oak!), backlock, and a leather sheath.
the size like a BM Skirmish, handle like the Böker Optima, blade like the ATR ore Manix.
thats whats 90% of the german knife boys want.
oh, all parts with srews.

IMO, it should have a size that allows carrying as an edc. Clip is not absolutely necessary.
Slipjoint concept, steel alloyed with tungsten, and handels with wooden layers, maybe oakwood, would be fine.

carrot

whats about something easier?
Take the Caly III and replace the G10 with stag. And the steel should be S30V instead of the VG-10. Without any Clip is also cool.
On the blade a big "D" like the "DK" Penknife.

Or, second idea: an new Rookie that ist called German Penknife ;)
Bring the Rookie back :hehe:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm for a Golden made knife. UKPK an DKPK both are made in the US, so why should the German Penknife not be made in Golden. It has to be a locking folding knife, nested liner lock, or nested comp lock or a frame lock. Handle material could be G-10, peel ply CF (like on the CF Mili), or G-10 with peel ply CF inlays :haemisch: :hehe: (like on the Spyker) or titanium (if it'll be a frame lock). If it'll be a liner lock it would be nice to have a second liner for the other scale (nested and skeletonized). Blade length between 3.5" and 4". Hole diameter 13 or 14mm, blade thickness 3mm. Screw construction, jimpings on thumb-ramp and choil. S30V steel.

My 0.02$

I also would strongly recommend a collaboration with a German knifemaker just to catch all the vibrations and to have the project
"round" .

wolfster

Hello Sal!

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss our own German Spyderco modell. It fires my imagination as well. The UK and DK Penknife are examples, that dreams might come true.

Although the UK Penknife is my favorite EDC and I'm looking forward to get the new Caly III, wouldn't vote for another Calypso-Style Knife.

I would prefer a 3 1/4 inch blade, full flat grind, S30V. In my opinion a modified wharncliff blade with a little higher point (like the Viele II) works very well for EDU.

For me it should have a slime handle, made of anodized aluminum (perhaps with wood inlays), nested liner lock, no or a low rider clip and at least a screw construction. A collaboration with one of the German Custom Makers would be fine (although with the C53 such an collaboration already exists).

Very good idea.
To be honest I'm no Spyderco fan and will never become a collector, but I like my UK-Pen-Knife very much. It's one of my most favourite EDCs, not because of its beautyness but because of its functionality.

Please find below my wish list for the equipment of a messerforum.net Spyderco knife.
  • I like the blade shape of the Manix junior very much
  • Steel should be S30V, alternatively an O1 /A2/1095 Tool steel would be fine also
  • I would love to have a titanium frame lock, but carbon handles and slip joint would also work fine with me
  • In any case the knife should work as an EDC with 4'' blade lenght maximum
  • It should disappear almost completely in the pocket. Pen Knife clip style is ok but a titanium clip with a spyder bug hole would be perfect

Since everybody is telling what he likes most I would like to tell you my no-go's (= if the knife is equipped with at least one of the follwing items I would never buy it):
  • FRN handle
  • Steel handle
  • VG10 blade
  • Hollow grind
  • Compression lock
  • Middle lock (I'm not able to close it with one hand ;-( )
  • Tip down
  • No clip
  • Price > 200€

Looking forward to seeing the final design of the knife.
Take care

Back