Cronidur 30

Larrin

Mitglied
I can only speak English, but I was hoping for some information on Cronidur 30. I have read the data sheet on http://www.energietechnik-essen.de/ but I was hoping for information on purchasing cronidur 30 or someone's actual experience with the steel. No one in the U.S. knows anything about the steel. I can use the internet to translate some, but of course it's going to end up kind of funny.

Ist hier die beste Übersetzung, die ich tun kann:
Ich kann Englisch nur sprechen, aber ich hoffte zu etwas Information über Cronidur 30. Ich habe das Leistungsblatt auf http://www.energietechnik-essen.de/ gelesen, aber ich hoffte zu Information über das Kaufen von von cronidur 30 oder jemand tatsächliche Erfahrung mit dem Stahl. Niemand in den VEREINIGTEN STAATEN weiß alles über den Stahl. Ich kann das Internet benutzen, um einiges zu übersetzen, aber selbstverständlich wird es herauf Art von lustigem beenden.

Last edited:
Well, Cronidur 30 is a nitrogen alloy steel.
After HT it has a very high (exceptional) corrosion resistance.
Due to the fine structure of the nitrides and carbides prior and after correct HT, it will take a rather fine edge and allow slim blade geometry and is easy to sharpen compared to the high alloy stuff, known.
HT has do be done professionally
The toughness potential is high, at maximum hardness for blades up to 57/ 58 HRC (medium) so there is also a good impact resistance given for blades

Resumee:
Where you need the high corrosion resistance, fine edges and blade geometries, Cronidur 30 preforms very well in the medium hardness sector.
So good kitchen knifes, diving knifes, camp knife with low to medium impact loads seem most siutible applications.

I guess I need a little introduction first, I am the son of Devin Thomas, who makes damascus. We are very good heat treaters. We aren't especially interested in using it in damascus, but are interested in using it in a three layer laminate with CPM M4 (san-mai) or by itself in a blade steel. We think that the Cronidur would be around 40-45 Rc on the outsides, with a hard M4 core, because the temper would be in the stress relieving ranges rather than the secondary hardening peak, which is what we would want for a san-mai laminate.
As for using it as a solid blade steel, according to the data sheet, you can get 60 Rc fairly easily, is this different than what you have experienced? Also, we would be interested in testing the properties of the steel at the upper temper (475 degrees Celsius) for more carbide volume. According to the data sheet, the corrosion resistance appears to still be in line with 440C at the upper temper and the toughness difference seems to be negligible. Of course, it loses the amazing corrosion resistance that it has at the low temper, but we're not especially interested in diving knives, the corrosion resistance of 440C is plenty.

But most of all we want to know where we can get some bar stock. We've been calling up multiple steel companies and haven't found a place to purchase the steel. Could you point us in the right direction?

Well Larrin,

To use the Cronidur as a San Mai material doesnt make much sense to me.
I havent tyed to weld it to other materials in a San Mai construction yet, but there might be some tricky effects to it because of the nitrogen.
When HT, Cronidur builds up a high N-concentration about 3-6times higher than the core, in the outer layers.

Now what is the Idea you follow in this construction just "sex" to be sold easily, or any other technical idea?
As I said, from a technical point of view the combination doesnt make sense.

First, if you weld it you will have high N concentrations that may affect your weld siginficantly in its strengh.

2nd, the HT of the M4 will lead to an inferior grain structure in the cronidur.

The high tempering will not repair the inferior microstructure.

The differences in the hardness id say are subject to newer refinements in the alloy contents a couple of years ago it was not possible to get it harder than 58HRC cryo included.
And BTW full hardness isnt the goal to get in a blade steel, more it is the highest hardenss in combination with the finest matensitic grain achievable.

When I do the San May construction outside with stainless I simply use a austenitic steel like 1.4301 DIN not a martensitic steel like Cronidur 30, simply because there are way more disadvantages than advantages in a technical perspective.

Last edited:
Did you ask Energietechnik yet? Caus they sould know when they make it.
I got mine from a friend so I cant give you any details on it.

roman said:
Did you ask Energietechnik yet? Caus they sould know when they make it.
I got mine from a friend so I cant give you any details on it.
I sent them a message, but have received no response. I suppose we could attempt to call them next, but who knows how that will turn out. We'll try to call them, but could you contact the friend that gave you the steel? It's no problem if you can't, of course.

diesel said:
Hello

You can try it here:http://www.stephan-stahl.de/programm/show.php?lang=&land=usa&list=ams-metall_02

The Index Number is AMS 5898, there you can find Cronidur 30.

I asked there, and they seem to trade with it.

Best regards Stefan
I have sent a message to the company, thanks for the information. I have also received a message from a member Oliver Mendl who says he may be able to get us some.

Thanks for the help everybody, it looks like we might finally get us some.

Back