Subcom Fixed Blade Proto von Chad los Banos

beagleboy

Premium Mitglied
Chad hat mich gebeten, hier die Bilder und Daten vom Prototyp des Subcom Fixed Blade zu posten.

Das Messer wird in den USA für Böker gefertigt, die Ausstattung wird wohl eine Kydex-Scheide, ggf. mit Tek-Lock umfassen.

Der Prototyp wurde übrigens von Chase Axinn (Chaxknives) hergestellt.

Die Materialstärke des Protos liegt bei 4,7mm (3/16"), um auch ohne Griffschalen entsprechend Volumen in der Hand zu erzeugen und das Messer entsprechend stabil zu gestalten.
Die extremen Riffelungen am Griffende werden in dieser Form nicht in die Serie gehen, da sie sich in der Hand, insbesondere am Handballen, eher als schmerzhaft erwiesen haben.
Ein kleiner geriffelter Bereich wird aber für den Daumen im Reversegrip vorhanden sein.

Die Riffelungen auf dem Klingenrücken werden wohl noch weiter vorgezogen und in der Art den feineren Riffelungen am Klingenrücken des Folders entsprechen.

Die Position der Lanyard-Bohrung wurde bewußt gewählt, um den Fangriemen besser als Griffverlängerung nutzen zu können, insbesondere auch mit dem Riemen zwischen Ring- und kleinem Finger.

Chad hat das Messer schon eine Weile getestet und ist sehr zufrieden, auch mit dem Schneideigenschaften, die mit dem hochgezogenen Flachschliff trotz der Materialstärke sehr zufriedenstellend sein sollen.

Er freut sich über jedes Feedback!
Wer in englisch postet, tut ihm einen Gefallen, da Babelfish teilweise doch grausam ist. :irre:

Ansonsten sorge ich dafür, daß er es auf englisch bekommt, also postet, wie Ihr wollt. :p

Attachments

• SFB_Proto_Size_comp.jpg
    SFB_Proto_Size_comp.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 829
  • SFB_SF_TopView_Comp.jpg
    SFB_SF_TopView_Comp.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 498
Hier noch die Bilder mit den verschiedenen Griffpositionen.
Auf dem letzten Bild ist der Lanyard wie oben beschrieben als zusätzliche "Rutschsicherung" in Verwendung.

Attachments

• SFB_AlternateLanyardPlacement.jpg
    SFB_AlternateLanyardPlacement.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 433
  • SFB_Skinning.jpg
    SFB_Skinning.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 388
  • SFB_Scalpelgrip.jpg
    SFB_Scalpelgrip.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 360
  • SFB_NormalGrip_FobHelp.jpg
    SFB_NormalGrip_FobHelp.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 516
beagleboy said:
Er freut sich über jedes Feedback!

ja gut.

welcher stahl war`s nochmal ?
für was denn "riffelungen" bei sonem winzlig ?
design, ist geschmacksache, meins ist überhaupt nicht.
griffpositionen, - nett gemeint, mach ich aber mit jedem messer, gerne grad mit kleinen. ;)

@ beagle, sorry, wer hoch fliegt, ...
- findest du es gut ?

grüsse ,.

What a great (minimalistic) design!

Seems to be another must-have even more SUBCOM beside my EKA H8. Since I got one of my first knives, which is a so called "Fingermesser", a very very small skinner (yes it's made of AISI420, too :hehe: ), I'm completely captivated by these cute little knife-puppies. Yes, I know it has to look mean and somehow 'tactical' but a checkering which is more a serration - I'm the last who will insist on having this instead a smooth grip. And this time you'll insist in an more sophisticated steel than the try before, won't you? In return for that I'll buy this knife although the last one I bought from Magnum sucks - no, this wasn't neither your fault nor design.

I can hardly wait for giving it a try. :super:

Last edited:
Haudegen said:
welcher stahl war`s nochmal ?
für was denn "riffelungen" bei sonem winzlig ?

- findest du es gut ?

Stahl steht noch nicht fest, aber 420 wird´s nicht. :p

Wofür Riffelungen? :confused:
Ich benutze den Folder jetzt seit knapp 5 Wochen, und ich bin von der Ergonomie und der Griffsicherheit begeistert (und nicht nur ich).
Und da haben die Riffelungen sicher ihren Anteil daran.
Das erschließt sich sehr schnell, wenn man das Teil zum ersten Mal in die Hand nimmt.

Daher, ohne es live gesehen zu haben: mir gefällt es.

Und ein wenig mehr Konstruktivität fände ich nett. ;)

KaffeeSüßSauer said:
What a great (minimalistic) design!

Seems to be another must-have even more SUBCOM beside my EKA H8. Since I got one of my first knives, which is a so called "Fingermesser", a very very small skinner (yes it's made of AISI420, too :hehe: ), I'm completely captivated by these cute little knife-puppies. Yes, I know it has to look mean and somehow 'tactical' but a checkering which is more a serration - I'm the last who will insist on having this instead a smooth grip. And this time you'll insist in an more sophisticated steel than the try before, won't you? In return for that I'll buy this knife although the last one I bought from Magnum sucks - no, this wasn't neither your fault nor design.

I can hardly wait for giving it a try. :super:

Aloha KaffeeSuBSauer,

Now "sucks" is a word I can understand, and that's not good! :D I apologize if you were referring to the steel mix up regarding my SUBCOM Folder. :(

Still, thanks for your positive outlook regarding the SFB. This is a mini-Tank for sure, yet cuts like a scalpel...let's hope the production version accompishes the same!

Mahalo for your input and God bless :super:
Chad
CLB DESIGNS :ahaa:

PS: Thanks for the english! :rolleyes:

Aloha ALL,

Before I go any further, I must thank beagleboy for posting the pics of the SFB proto and a brief description of it. Mahalo beagleboy! :super:

Okay...the SFB will be made by Ontario Knives in the USA. The proto shown was in fact built by Ontario Knives. Knifemaker Chase Axinn had built a proto for me to send to Boker for T&E. Mr. Axinn still builds them by hand, and in various thickness, handle materials, and steels. Visit www.chaxknives.com and the SFB back then was called the TRiP1 and TRiP2. TRiP1 had the groove for the ring finger.

Steel is yet to be determined by BokerUSA. However, it will not be 420J2 this time! I am thinking more of a 440C or something along the lines of a baked 1095 in black. However, the production version should be arriving anyday now at BokerUSA, and it will be headed to me shortly thereafter for approval. I will then update you all on the actual findings regarding steel type and if the sheath comes with a TekLok.

I had tested two versions that chaxknives made for me, as well as the proto done by Ontario. Now, I do not know whose idea it was for those "gear like" traction grooves at the pommel of the SFB, but they HURT! Otherwise, the knife is amazingly sharp, and is easy to keep that way. Slippage in any direction is minimal due to my cutout design. The SFB is hefty, but tolerable for neck carry, if you like this method of carry. However, I used a small TekLok and canted carry rightside, and tried it crossdraw. Works very well, and the lanyard fob assists in withdrawing the SFB as well as adding security in terms of retention.

Some have questioned the thickness for such a small blade...well, I have used a lot of different "bare bones" types that were only 1/8", and they felt weak...also, if in a survival situation, last thing you want is a bent knife. I have slammed this SFB into plywood and trees and pryed them out sideways...shoot, just slamming them barehanded into something solid should testify to my confidence in this knife's design! :staun: I used the proto to split kindling, and the slots can be used for creative paracord wrappings or tying the SFB to a makeshift walking stick or staff for use as a spear. Whittling and skinning bark are simple tasks...in a worse case scenario, I'd rather have a strong knife than a thin, weak one. Who knows? You may even have to dig, or pry, or spear, or... :confused:

Well, enough of my rambling. I just got back from Hell, so I am quite beat... :rolleyes:

As beagleboy stated, please post in english if possible, but if not, he'll assure me of a proper translation! babelfish sure doesn't! :lach:

Mahalo for the feedback, and thanks again Moderator Marc!

God bless and take care everyone :super:
Chad

Aloha Daywalker

that could be done fast with the fixed version :super:
thus I like such small compact knifes, I have already the folder and the fixed will follow, if the price is correct. I do not hope the steel grade become with the second knife a guessing game.
Hope we see more knifes/designs from you !

Brgds
Christo

A pretty nice piece of steel, which seems to be very ergonomic :super:

If it will be made out of 440C or comparable i will take one - guaranteed!

Aloha Chad,
(cool, didn't use this salutation before)

I apologize for provoking this misunderstanding: My critics regarding Magnum didn't belong neither to your knife nor to your design. My last Magnum, a 'Bulldog', was a lousy piece of crap, the liner slipped right to the other side and became wedged between axis and the other liner, the overall finish was like stamped out with very dull tools etc. So I concluded from this that Magnum hasn't virtually no QC, but of course this may be much better with your design, especially since you take care. Sorry again!

So I look forward eagerly to get hold of your new design, especially with Kydex, TekLok and of course a good steel. To all appearances this will be a really 'great' small knife, too :super:

Mahalo Chad, too! (although I don't know exactly what this means :steirer: )

PS: also I apologize for writing in English, which might be worse than a babelfish. :glgl:

Last edited:
Aloha ALL!

Thanks for the feedback...and all of them in english?!! Am I at the correct forum? :lach: Mahalo guys, you're all too kind! ;)

@ christo: Mahalo for your kind words...I too, pray that there will be a great price point without any guessing games on steel type as well! :rolleyes:

@ thrawn: It IS very ergonomic and should definitely be a great piece of some type of 440! Will keep you posted, and thank you!

@ kaffeesubsauer: No problems my friend! I can understand your concerns regarding Magnum, especially after a bad "past experience", however, QC has improved a great deal, and it is "hard" to mess up on a framelock! There is no need to apologize! ;) Yes, I hope the SFB comes with a TekLok...The SFB IS a great small knife, but remember: IT IS BUILT LIKE A TANK!!! :hehe: Mahalo and take care! :super: (Mahalo simply means thank you here in Hawaii, and your english is WAY better than babelfish'!!! :super: )

God bless you guys, and mahalo!
Chad

Hi Daywalker!

Daywalker said:
I am thinking more of a 440C or something along the lines of a baked 1095 in black.
So it will look something like this?! :D

subcomfb.jpg

That would be great, I like it way better in black. :)

Anything new on the project? Have you handled the production version yet?

Thanks and kind regards

BlackBlade

Kydex-Scheide

So,

da ich nun seit gestern Abend (welchen Versandweb benutzt Böker eigentlich :confused: ) den neuen Böker Katalog habe, gleich mal das Fixed von Chad gesucht.
Gross und schön und anscheinend in Originalgrösse :confused: auf der Rückseite gefunden :D
Nur kein Bild von der Scheide :lach:
Hat jemand (vieleicht beagleboy :rolleyes: ) schon mal ein Bild gesehen oder sie gar in den Händen gehabt oder kann sonst etwas dazu sagen?
Aus Erfahrung weiss ich, dass beim Händler meines Vertauens die Neuerscheinungen meist ein wenig später kommen und da ich ihn schon beim Folder telefonisch genervt habe ... :haemisch:

Grüsse

Markus

Storky said:
Nur kein Bild von der Scheide

Das würde mich auch interessieren.

Ich hoffe da auf eine Pancake-Scheide aus Kydex a´la Becker Necker mit der Möglichkeit, ein Tek-Lok anzubringen. Das wäre auf jeden Fall die beste Lösung.

Gruss
Andreas

Das Fixed hatte ich leider auch noch nicht in der Hand, und die Scheide war noch nicht ganz klar.

Tek-Lok Anbringungsmöglichkeit soll vorhanden sein, ob ein Tek-Lok selbst enthalten sein wird, weiß ich auch nicht.

Sobald ich Infos habe, lest Ihr das. ;)

In den Bladeforums konnte man im Böker Unterforum lesen, das die Scheide von Blade Tech gefertigt wird, was sich sehr gut anhört.
Schade, das es scheinbar doch keine schwarze Version des Messers geben wird.

BlackBlade said:
Hi Daywalker!

So it will look something like this?! :D

subcomfb.jpg

That would be great, I like it way better in black. :)

Anything new on the project? Have you handled the production version yet?

Thanks and kind regards

BlackBlade

Aloha BlackBlade!

Sorry for the late response! LOL, I can see by your forum name WHY you'd like it in black! :rolleyes:

I have heard that I should be receiving a production sample soon. I do have, and have tested the pre-production proto, which is pictured above. Handles very well, but i asked Boker to remove some of the gear-like traction on the butt of the handle, only to leave a small section...As I also mentioned, it is NOT the lightest knife, nor the thinnest for something in this size catagory. it is VERY strong though, and cuts nicely for such a thick blade.

There is a picture of it in the 2006 Boker Catalog...I think it is the final version. However, perhaps it would be just better to wait for me to get the final production sample. I will most definitely show some pics! :hehe:

I dunno what else was said here, but I will babelfish it later... :argw:

Mahalo everyone and God bless :super:
Chad

Kleines Update

Chad hat mir ein paar Bilder eines Preproduction-Modells gemailt und mich gebeten, sie hier zu posten.

Es hat Änderungen an den Riffelungen gegeben, und zwar einerseits auf dem Klingenrücken, und andererseits am Griffende, wo der Handballen anliegt.

Das Messer mit Lanyard ist der Proto, das andere das Preproduction.

Außerdem sieht man bei der einen Ansicht auch die Stärke des Messers.

Ich sehe meinem Testmuster mit Spannung entgegen! :hehe:

Attachments

• SF&SFB_Size_Comp.jpg
    SF&SFB_Size_Comp.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 253
  • SFB_Production_Sample.jpg
    SFB_Production_Sample.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 247
  • SFBPre&Production_Samples.jpg
    SFBPre&Production_Samples.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 281
  • TextureChange1.jpg
    TextureChange1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 194
  • TextureChanges2.jpg
    TextureChanges2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 195
Ich wollte mal nachfragen, ob jemand das Serien Modell schon hat und wie seine Erfahrungen bisher sind, bzw. ob er vielleicht ein Foto der Scheide machen kann.

Mahlzeit auch,

habe das Teil schon vor Wochen bei Wolfster bestellt,
wurde aber bis jetzt immer wieder vertröstet *grummel*.
Würde mich auch interessieren, wann die endlich zur Auslieferung
kommen.

Gruß, Simon

Back