Bob Loveless - New York Special & Hideout

kwakster

Mitglied
A couple of years ago one of the Dutch forum members visited me with 2 real Bob Loveless knives from his collection, so i grabbed the opportunity to shoot some pictures and take measurements.
You can click 2 x on each picture for more detail.

The first one is a New York Special made in the '80's:

Specs:

Overall length: 17,5 cm
Blade length: 7,7 cm
Maximum blade thickness (ricasso): 5,0 mm
Steel: most likely 154CM stainless
Handle materials: canvas Micarta & stainless steel bolster
Weight: 104 grams

And a Hide Out model from about the same time frame:

Specs:

Overall length: 22,5 cm
Blade length: 10,6 cm
Maximum blade thickness (ricasso): 4,5 mm
Staal: most likely 154CM stainless
Handle materials: most likely Bakelite & stainless steel bolster
Weight: 104 gram

Hello,
Gems of knives from an iconic maker. But..
why didn‘t you grab the knives instead of fotos :D

Thanks for showing
Abu

Thank you for showing! Loveless-Knives are not often seen in german forums...

Are you sure about the Bakelit-handle-Material on the hideout! That would make it even more rare!

Outstanding pieces!

Claus

Last edited:
No, both the owner and myself are not 100 % sure on the handle material being Bakelite on the Hideout model, but we both agree that it looks an awful lot like Bakelite in real life.
It might also be a certain type of phenolic resin, but it definitely isn't Micarta.

One of the things the owner and i talked about was sharpening / polishing the edges on both knives, as he wasn't quite satisfied with the current combination of the highly polished blade surfaces with the rather coarse and crude edges (his words)
I told him that i probably could improve on the edges, but wouldn't for obvious reasons.
Not only is the monetary value of the knives quite high (the New York Special was around 11000 Euro at that time, and the Hide-Out model around 14000 Euro), i also didn't like the idea of changing original Loveless knives even one bit.
And that is not even considering the possibility that i could screw things up.
Luckily in the end we agreed on leaving them just as Bob made them,

No, both the owner and myself are not 100 % sure on the handle material being Bakelite on the Hideout model, but we both agree that it looks an awful lot like Bakelite in real life.
It might also be a certain type of phenolic resin, but it definitely isn't Micarta.

Maybe its the material Bob Loveless called „Rag Camo Micarta“?

Compared to this pictures here...?

http://www.knifelegends.com/Loveless%20Wilkerson%20Bug%20Bear%20Ironwood%20GH.html

Text under picture says Rag Camo Micarta.

Regards, Claus

You might very well be on to something, when comparing the pics it looks indeed quite similar.
So it might be a form of Micarta after all.
Anyway, i will convey your info to the owner of the knives.

Not only is the monetary value of the knives quite high (the New York Special was around 11000 Euro at that time, and the Hide-Out model around 14000 Euro), i also didn't like the idea of changing original Loveless knives even one bit.

The only way to go. If you want to hold the value. You could polish an old Seiko by yourself without leaving not too much money (ok, most old Seikos, not all) but doing the same with an vintage rolex is not the same ;) Not in terms of value and also - in my opinion - not in terms of respect of the classic things.

Very very cool knives. Imitated hundreds of times, but theses are the real ones.

Pitter

The handle material on the Hide Out knife definitely compares best to the rag camo Micarta on the Big Bear sub hilt knife in the first link you posted, but the pictures i took that day with my cheap camera are of course nowhere near as good as the professional ones made by Coop.

Hello,
first of all, thank you for showing these excellent knifes.
I am sure, that the handle is made of rag camo micarta and I will tell you why.
I have an old knife from Dietmar Kressler (marked Kressler & Kühne) with the same handles, when I get the knife I thougt that it was a special kind of wood.
Then I showed the knife to Dietmar and he said "Oh, that's a very old knife of mine made at the end of the 70th and the handle is made of (german) Lumpen Micarta."
The english word for Lumpen Micarta is rag micarta. So I think its the same material.
Andreas
:steirer::steirer::steirer:

Last edited:
Back