Anzeige

Anzeige

Ergebnis 1 bis 5 von 5

Thema: Wade & Butcher Boone fixed blade

Registrierter Teilnehmer

Wade & Butcher Boone fixed blade

Anzeige

Mitglieder sehen hier keinen Banner
    My most recent find is this Wade & Butcher "Boone" carbon steel hunting knife.
    It was discovered together with several other vintage hunting knives in an old leather hunting bag from the 1930's somewhere in Amsterdam.
    The steel has gotten a dark grey patina from being stored inside the sheath for decennia.

On the blade the letters "ILLWELL" are very faintly visible, and through Google i found that originally it spelled "GILLWELL", which is the 144 acre sight North of London given to the Scouts in 1919 and now the worlds historical site for scouts.
    It seems that the change from "GILLWELL" to "GILWELL" took place when Baden Powell was made the first Baron Baden-Powell of Gilwell in 1929.
    So in 1919, when the first Wood Badge course was held, it was Gillwell Park.

If the info from Google is correct that would date my knife to have been manufactured between 1919 and 1929, although the sheath is probably not original to the knife but most likely from Scandinavian origin.

What do you guys think ?

2. # Anzeige
    Registrierte Benutzer sehen hier keine Werbung

Registrierter Teilnehmer MF-Mitglied

AW: Wade & Butcher Boone fixed blade

Zitat Zitat von kwakster Beitrag anzeigen
    My most recent find is this Wade & Butcher "Boone" carbon steel hunting knife.
    It was discovered together with several other vintage hunting knives in an old leather hunting bag from the 1930's somewhere in Amsterdam.

What do you guys think ?
    Hello,
    Again a really good and interesting find!
    Unfortunately I‘m not familiar with those kind of knives or their history. But what I‘m able to judge you are a keen and successfull „Knife-Hunter“ and collector having even old catalogues handy! Keep going on.

Abu

Registrierter Teilnehmer

Thx, i think i will do just that,

Currently i'm doing a bit of online research on what kind of steel was used in these knives, and according to this old ad the Boone blades were made from (the famous) Wardlow steel.

Then i found these posts from 2017 on a forum:

Question: "What type of knife was used by Camillus in the early years, was it 1095 ?
    I have a stockman made between 1920 and 1930, use it every day for carving, sharpest pocket knife I every had.
    I am 64 years old this steel beats them all."

Answer: "Camillus forged their blades from Wardlow's best crucible steel from Sheffield England."

Reply: "All I know this blade steel is great, I carve 4 to 6 hours a day, sometime just strop and keep cutting.
    My new pocket knives will not do this no matter the brand."

And from Bladeforums: "The S. & C. Wardlow steel that Camillus imported from Sheffield, England, was derived from about 8o percent pure Swedish iron ore; wide variation in heating did not injure it."

Registrierter Teilnehmer

This Pathe footage from 1949 shows the actual making of the crucibles and how they were used to produce cast steel:

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/h...uery/foundries

The first reaction below almost the same footage on YouTube (but without sound) reads this:

"George Goodwin, puddling clay for the making of pots for melting crucible steel, looks like the old Benjamin Huntsman works on Coleridge Rd.
    I started work there in 1968 as a lad in the forge, George by then was much older and working in the warehouse, he told us lads of these days making pots, and was still a very fit and muscular guy, bulging biceps for a pensioner a fantastic bloke.
    A piece of Sheffield history here..... Bob."
    Geändert von kwakster (15.11.18 um 14:43 Uhr)

Registrierter Teilnehmer MF-Mitglied

Anzeige

Mitglieder sehen hier keinen Banner
    Thanks for the video and the amazing glimpse into the past of crucibles production.

Abu

Aktive Benutzer

Aktive Benutzer