Two-Hand-Operated Locking Knife for the German market

I've enlarged the blade (wider and longer) and raised the tip. I'll try to get a pic to Peter early next week as I'm out again on Thursday.

Sounds intruiging. It's also great to see the project moving forward.

Hi Peter,

I'm back in town for about a week. I'll try to email the latest version to you tomorrow.

sal

Good to have you back and ready for reading the upcoming comments, Sal.

@All: What we get now is the sketch from THO 3 :)

Attachments

• THO 3 b&w.jpg
    THO 3 b&w.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 393
  • THO 3 closed b&w.jpg
    THO 3 closed b&w.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 331
  • THO 3.jpg
    THO 3.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 332
Hi Sal,

I'm Austrian, therefore I'm not interested in a German legal knife, but I appreciate your constant effort to satisfy the German market as well.

One thing is for sure: You can ask 10 persons about a perfect designed knife and you'll get 11 different opinions.
To me, the THO 3 (as well as the THO2) seems like a mixture of the Stretch (handle), which is my favourite Spyderco-design, and the Southard (blade). This doesn't mean anything bad, but in that case the design seems unbalanced to me.

Why don't you take an established Spyderco knife and change it to a German legal one (compared to the ukpk)? Would be an easy way and not the worst one (imho). Of course, this can also be done in addition to a new Two-Hand-Operated locking knife.

And - as MojoMC already mentioned (#90) - a "Feststellungsbescheid" is an absolute necessity. Whitout one, you won't sell more of this THO knife than any other "normal" (one handed and locking) Spyderco.

Just my 2 cents...

Greez,
Wischi

Looks a lot better, I think I could live with that.
However, in closed position, the bladetip seems to almost poke out of the handle. It doesn't, of course, but it's very close. I had knives where that was a problem, because the skin of my hand would go between the handle sometimes and then get cut.
It might just look that way.

Best regards,
Simon

Sal & Peter, thanks for the update.

I am a little bit puzzled about the shape of the spine of the blade.
The curve at the tip looks like one of my knives where the tip broke off and I had to regrind it.

I took the liberty and changed the blade shape a little bit so that it doesn't look like a reground tip anymore:
cxetzilsrgdxo3xnf.jpg

Hi there,

WOW, MojoMCs slightly changed silhouette of the blade looks great to me.
I would buy it - even as Austrian who doesn't need to care about knife laws :steirer:

[Dream]
Would be very cool, if the blade could be ground very thin for extraordinary cutting performance
and maybe there will be a a version with carbonsteel or something like 1.2519/1.3505/1.2442/...
This is NO April Fools Day Joke!

[/Dream]

If I take the original Spyderco sketch from the closed knife, I wonder if it's still a Two-Hand-Operated knife?
For me it looks like there is plenty of space for thumb and forefinger to grab the blade and flip it open. (Stretch handle has enough weight for this motion)

And as a side note: Deep pocket wire clip is still my preferred choice :rolleyes:

Attachments

• THO 3 closed b&w.jpg
    THO 3 closed b&w.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 282
Peter, I agree with You.

Better to have an engraved hole imho, that gives the knife the typical Spyderco-Look, than to have an (even) small hole with the possibility to open it with one hand.

And yes: deep pocket wire Clip.

Andreas

Better to have an engraved hole imho, ...
We are invited to discuss a lot of details with Spyderco, but an engraved hole instead of the trademark (original and empty) hole is beyond all question. Please don't ask for any alternative solution what the hole concerns.

Hi WISCHI, What regular Spyderco model would you suggest and how would you modify it? That's kind of what I did with the Stretch.

Hey Simon, I could live with that and we would certainly make it short enough to avoid getting to the tip when closed. The only concern is broken tips when we make them pointy as your drawing.

Hi Andreas, As peter mentioned, the trademark is a through hole.

Peter, Is that considered a one hander if you can do a "Spyder drop" (thumb-forefinger hold and drop handle).

Is a deep pocket wire preferred?

sal

WOW, MojoMCs slightly changed silhouette of the blade looks great to me.
I would buy it - even as Austrian who doesn't need to care about knife laws :steirer:

I totally agree with andr.stan. and J03. The THO 3 takes the original design a step further and MojoMc modification of blade shape offers an additional improvement.

I would definitely buy this knife.

Hi Sal,

a deep pocket wire would be cool.

Taking former rulings of the BKA into account, any knife that can be thrown open using only one hand will probably considered to be a one hand opening knife. Even if the BKA does not offer an opinion on the THO police officers might try to open the knife with one hand. If succesful, they probably would confiscate the knife .:mad:

Last edited:
Peter, Is that considered a one hander if you can do a "Spyder drop" (thumb-forefinger hold and drop handle).
What matters is not how ones opens the blade with one hand, but the fact it will work. "Spyder drop" makes it to a one hander.
If you go for legal certainty in Germany, forget any alternative opening method with one hand on a locking folder.

Sad note, but true.

I like the new sketch much more than the initial "rhino" design :top: To avoid one-hand-opening possibilities it essential that the blade opens not too easily. Eventually moving the spyderhole (I know thats indiscussable, but thats the only thing I don't like on my Enuff and the cause I'm rarely using it, I don't like my food in it ;)) more close to the handle would make one-hand-opening more difficult.

Hi WISCHI, What regular Spyderco model would you suggest and how would you modify it? That's kind of what I did with the Stretch.

Hi Sal,

hard to say, because of the fact, that most of your knives can be easily opened with one hand no matter if there is a hole or not. And - as already mentioned - this could lead a police officer to the opinion, that it is a one handed and locking knife. If there isn't a "Feststellungsbescheid", which shows the opposite, the user can probably get a problem carrying this knife (unfortunately it is very probable - imho).

What about a Southard without a millet slot for one hand opening? The top of the hole could be used as a nail nick. Another benefit is the fact, that you don't have to change your benchmark and one handed closing would be possible.

Greez,
Wischi

If there isn't a "Feststellungsbescheid", which shows the opposite, the user can probably get a problem carrying this knife (unfortunately it is very probable - imho).
I don't want to nag, but I am really interested what Sal thinks about obtaining a Feststellungsbescheid.

Right now I know of only one other modern two-hand-knife that has a Feststellungsbescheid (well, kind of), so it would absolutely be a unique selling point. Especially since Spyderco knives are rather pricey here in Germany.

If the knife will be "just" another modern knife without explicit one-hand-opening - well, there's a lot of competition already...

What about a Southard without a millet slot for one hand opening? The top of the hole could be used as a nail nick. Another benefit is the fact, that you don't have to change your benchmark and one handed closing would be possible.
To cover the hole and top of the blade both scales would have to be bigger, and the flipper has to go.

What knife is it that has a Feststellungsbescheid and how does one get one? Is that the only German legal THO?

Almost any knife can be grabbed by the blade and snap the handle down to open, I can do that with a Swiss Army Knife. How would one get around that? Also, almost any locking knife can be inertia opened. How do we get around that?

If the entire blade is submerged below the handle, and there is no flipper, how would one access the blade? Even with two hands?

sal

Hello Sal.
One point of the law is, that if the knife is bulid for 2 hand opening, it is a 2 hand opening knife. If it is build for one hand opening and you remove the parts who make it to a one hand opening knife, it is still a one hand opening knife.:haemisch:

If the entire blade is submerged below the handle, and there is no flipper, how would one access the blade? Even with two hands?

Crazy idea: Make a fully submerged blade, opened by a flipper AND a security switch on the e.g. other handle side of the knife.
The additional switch shall be accessible only by the second hand => two hand opening flipper.

:ahaa:

Back