Gravity knives

autoknife

Mitglied
Here are some of the gravity knives, and OTF's I have in my collection. There was a post on this forum a while back about gravity knives that I found on the Internet that turned out to be my knives and that is how I found this forum. Any information on the Horstator would be great as this is the only one I have personally seen. Mr. Henning Ritter of Hubertus told me about 12-15 years ago that he had a handle, but no blade for one of these.
horstatorgravity8zt.jpg

This is a "Horstator" Brand.
largewingen2oz.jpg

This is a large size "Anton Wingen" with a spear point blade.
wingenclipgravity5ge.jpg

This is a large size "Anton Wingen" with a clip point blade.
staggravity14uu.jpg

This is most likely an "Anton Wingen", but is unmarked.
smallwingengravity7wc.jpg

Here's a pair of the small size "Anton Wingen" gravities.
othellogravity9hh.jpg

Here's a very small "Anton Wingen" next to a 11cm Robt. Klaas for size comparison.
wingengravity8vg.jpg

This is another "Anton Wingen" gravity.
bonsagravity6iu.jpg

This is a "Bonsa" gravity.
redbonsagravity0xa.jpg

This is a different style "Bonsa" gravity.
gravities2lc.jpg

These are misc. German gravity knives.
gravitypair13me.jpg

These are Italian made gravities.
I will have to continue this in another thread since it will only allow 15 pictures per thread. Thanks....Ken

German Gravity knives

autoknife / Ken,
that seems to be a quite complete collection of German pattern gravity knives.
I know from Anton Wingen jr. promotional printed matter that the large pattern was offered as option with stag horn handle slabs and the clip point style blade - matching with your illustration.
In original I saw it just one time offered at an auction some years ago.
I am missing just a few German makers gravity knivessuch as the M 1937 model, the 1956 German Army paratrooper's pattern, and an early 1950's Gebrüder Grärath one.
The restrictions andf final ban of this style of knife by the German weapons' law makes them extremely rare in our country.
regards
cut

What about this knife? Do you happen to have one of these? WWII German Paratrooper knife

FJMfront.jpg

FJM1.jpg

FJMstamp1.jpg

Sorry for the large pics.

AW: German Gravity knives

I am missing just a few German makers gravity knivessuch as the M 1937 model, the 1956 German Army paratrooper's pattern, and an early 1950's Gebrüder Grärath one.
Hello Cut,
Thanks for your post!:super: Yes, I am missing them also. The WWII models are available here in great shape, but since my main area of collecting is the springmessers I haven't felt like paying much for them yet. I will start to add them soon. The 1956 model is the one with black scales? I have had them, and the "G Grafrath", but I try to only keep pieces that are in mint (like new) condition, and the ones I had were not in good enough condition. Most of these I have picked up pretty cheap ($50-$100) and that is why I still need more. They have to be very nice and cheap!:D

Beware, the paratrooper knives are mostly fakes, especially the model 41 (the one that can be taken apart).

What about this knife? Do you happen to have one of these? WWII German Paratrooper knife.
Not yet.:(
I'm mostly a springmesser collector and these are just a related thing that I collect. Eventually I will add all the different models and makers as I find them in the condition I want. Yours looks to be in great condition, thanks for sharing it....Ken

@ Ken:

"The 1956 model is the one with black scales?"

Yes, it is, and it has (in mint condition) a dust cap. The military issued ones had an eagle marking on the handle, military authorities named it "Kappmesser" without any numbering.

The bone handled Gebr. Gräfrath pattern was of much stronger construction but did not show up for sale in Germany that much as the military pattern which was made by several Solingen makers until the early 1960's.

Revierler's post
"Beware, the paratrooper knives are mostly fakes, especially the model 41 (the one that can be taken apart)."
sounds threatening. Anyway I did not hear anything about such fakes from German collectors nor in any of the few published features in books or magazines nor in this or an Austrian forum.

@ Revierler, maybe you can share details in that matter?
@ Ken, did any of the US forums show up facts concerning that WWII knife and fakes?

cut

@ Ken:

"The 1956 model is the one with black scales?"

Yes, it is, and it has (in mint condition) a dust cap. The military issued ones had an eagle marking on the handle, military authorities named it "Kappmesser" without any numbering.

The bone handled Gebr. Gräfrath pattern was of much stronger construction but did not show up for sale in Germany that much as the military pattern which was made by several Solingen makers until the early 1960's.

Revierler's post
"Beware, the paratrooper knives are mostly fakes, especially the model 41 (the one that can be taken apart)."
sounds threatening. Anyway I did not hear anything about such fakes from German collectors nor in any of the few published features in books or magazines nor in this or an Austrian forum.

@ Revierler, maybe you can share details in that matter?
@ Ken, did any of the US forums show up facts concerning that WWII knife and fakes?

cut
Hello Cut,
I had one of the 1956 models that I believe was unsharpened if I remember correctly, but the scales are so soft that they are often all dinged up, or scratched and sadly I ended up selling it in the hopes of finding a better example.
combogravity1ady6.jpg

I also had a "G Grafrath", but like the 1956 models was not quite as nice as I would have liked and sold it as well. I had a chance to buy a perfect mint example on auction a few years ago from a seller in Germany who goes by "DelRay". I've seen his posts in other forums here, so I'm sure some of you may know him. He comes up with some very nice knives. This was the knife he had on the auction:
graefotf1zz8.jpg

graefotf2tm0.jpg

graefotf3od1.jpg

I have seen the take down models that are reproductions. The blades are unmarked, and the handle pins look like they are copper. They are pretty easy to tell from originals. If I can find a picture of one on auction I will post a picture later. Thanks....Ken

There had been some discussion in another thread about "Horstator" gravity knives. I have owned the one with the number 032 sticker for about 15-20 years, and just recently acquired the second knife which is etched the same way on the blade. Any additional information about these would be greatly appreciated.
german_horstator_gravity_1.jpg

german_horstator_gravity_2.jpg

Back