Mitglied
some fotos of the karachay knife we now make,,
its a national knife of the karachay ethnic group in the north caucasus,,

HPIM2512Medium.jpg

HPIM2516.jpg

HPIM2830Medium.jpg

AW: karachay knife,,,

...eine kurze Erklärung :)
das Ethnic karachay knife ist/war ein Messer einer Volksgruppe aus dem Nordkaukasus. Die Scheide ist aus Holz und wird mit Leder ummantelt und bleibt an der Messerspitze offen. Solche Scheiden gab es auch bei einigen tibetanischen und taiwanesischen Naturvölkern.
Da in diesen Gebieten eine extrem hohe Luftfeuchtigkeit herrscht, sorgt die Öffnung an der Spitze, dass sich kein Wasser in der Scheide stauen kann.

Jenni

@Jenni:
Kannst Du uns noch mit ein paar tech. Daten beglücken? :D
ach ja, schönes Messer!

Gruß

hi, the steel is x12mf, something like D2,
same as in some of the stirkh knives,

Thanks, and what´s about the Size?

hi , ok ,
off the top of my head,,,,,,, i think its about 14 cm long blade and about 11.4 cm long handle,
blade is 4mm thick ,

handle is walnut and the guard is bronze alloy,

i go into the factory shortly , so ill get you some much nnicer fotos and some details of the knife,

here is some better ones,,
ah yess , it , 14 cm blade, 11.5 cm handle,, 4mm thick blade,
the steel is x12mf,

ok , here si the picures,, a , also the back of the sheath is thicker for polishing the edge of the knife,
HPIM2969Medium.jpg

HPIM2962Medium.jpg

HPIM2960Medium.jpg

HPIM2964Medium.jpg

HPIM2968Medium.jpg

HPIM2948Medium.jpg

:D It looks very nice, and it it seems to be an Seamen´s knife.
The shape of the knife resembles to a traditional
german Seamen´s knife.

thanks for Information

best
Guido

PS: the last foto looks as it do not belongs to the others.

Last edited:

hi , no its actualy a knigfe of the karachay national group of the north caucasus,,

,, the sheath is made with wood only on one side, and leather on the other,
the end is open and there is two holes, this is to allow any water to drain out of the sheath,
and to stop any rusting of the blade, the back of the sheath where it is stiched it thick and was ,, is ,, used the sharpen the knife with a polishing paste,,
the guard has a special form which can be seen along the spine of the knife, this is to keep a solid hold of the blade, and to stop cracking in the wood , also it is to stop any corrosion between the wood and steel and moisture normaly would contact the handle at the point where the blade and handle meets , detoriating the blade and the wood in this point,
it also looks good,

on the back of hte sheath was sometimes also a needle and an awl, for fixing leather items, also some had a small stone , but in areas where there was much stone present this was not common,

ah , yes the last foto , i attached it by mistak , it is a small knife , a zodiac knife, we normaly make them standard with walnut handles and leather sheaths, but this one it with ivory and stingray skin,
the blade is engraved by hand , i had it done for a friend , who was in hospital ,

Die Karachay Knives habe ich mittlerweile bekommen, bei Kizlyar laufen sie unter dem Namen Bichak.
Allerdings habe ich Sie im Moment nur in Z60 und nicht in X12MF.

Das Messer, wie auf dem Foto mit der honigfarbenen Lederscheide gibt es nur einmal, die der anderen sind aus braunem Leder.

Jenni

Attachments

• 5_bichak.jpg
    5_bichak.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 135

some fotos of the karachay knife we now make,,
its a national knife of the karachay ethnic group in the north caucasus,,

HPIM2512Medium.jpg

HPIM2516.jpg

HPIM2830Medium.jpg

:S :p: hey i just noticed the blades go ".. 3,1,2,4,10,7 ."