Anton Wingen Jr.

Allen

Mitglied
Hello,
I have enjoyed this site for quite some time now but have just recently joined as a member. Sorry that I do not read or speak German, but I do have a common passion for knives.
It has been a pleasure to see some wonderful knives in this vintage knife thread, and also great to read so much valuable information (through translation).
I would like to contribute by adding some vintage German knives and would start with a old Anton Wingen Jr. hunting knife which has a handle length of 12.5 cm.
A very stout old fellow with shell extractor bolsters, a lock back main blade, gutting blade, saw blade, and cork screw.
Allen

Hi Allen,
and a special warm welcome at the forum from myself, a really fan of Solinger vintages I like! It's a great one you show:super: Probably I have a counterpart of it but not handy. So it might take a few days for a foto.
By the way, is your knife / blade marked with "OTHELLO" and a head of african origin?

I'm curious what you will show next.

Greetings
Abu

Thank you Gerhard and Abu, and yes, it does have the "Othello" head stamped on the back of the main blade.

Here is another knife made by Wingen which has a handle length of 10.5 cm. It has nickel silver bolsters and folding hand guards. It also features the "Othello" head on the back side of the blade tang.

Hi Allen,

welcome at the Messer Forum! Thank you very much for sharing your very nice pictures of your very interesting Anton Wingen Jr. / Othello knives with us. These old Othellos are rare and not often seen in real. Please be so kind and show them in our Messer Museum too. That would be a very useful and valuable addition for the interested knife enthusiast.
... and please show more of these Beauties!

Best regards
lvk

Thank you Ivk. I am still learning how to navigate the forum and would be happy to post pictures in the museum section if I knew where and how to do it. Maybe a moderator could put them in the right location?

Thank you Enzio.

Enclosed is another "A. Wingen Jr." which is a spring fired lever action model with a handle length of 11 cm. An interesting feature of this knife is the additional engraving on the blade. While "A. Wingen Jr. (over) Solingen Germany" is stamped on the blade tang area, another etching is seen on the face of the blade which I do not believe is connected with the Wingen company. A close up picture shows a butcher block with a clever/axe logo within a triangle design, and the letters H-C in the upper right hand corner. I am not familiar with this logo, could it be from the company of "Huser & Clauberg" who may have contracted this model from Wingen?

Hi Allen,
as announced here is mine Wingen / Othello, same size as yours, but very different tools. Well, the condition is not as good because it's stained and was properly used obviously. Most unusual are the four different types of shell extractors which are: two within the bolsters cal. 12 and 16, the special hook itself and the hole in the hook. The latter fits to the pin of the french Lefaucheux ammunition.

Regards

Abu

PS: The spring-knife is excellent again!

Thanks for your pictures Allen and Abu! These are very interesting and very old knives, the world was waiting for. Please join the Museum, your knives are screaming: Please show me and my premium quality!
But I think, you have to register yourself at MesserForum, Allen ... and you have to pay some money for that registration. Please do it and thank you very much for your service.

Best regards
lvk

... etching is seen on the face of the blade which I do not believe is connected with the Wingen company.

Nice knife with an unusual marking Allen!

... I am not familiar with this logo, could it be from the company of "Huser & Clauberg" who may have contracted this model from Wingen? ...

Obviously the knife was contract made by Anton Wingen Jr.
Hüser & Clauberg used different brandnames and trademarks for marking cutlery, including a logo with the letters H.C. anyway not with a "-" dash and the butcher's block with the cleaver was not registered by Hüser & Clauberg.

My records are showing up this tradmark being registered by Gustav Emil Ern.

regards
cut

Hi Allen,
as announced here is mine Wingen / Othello, same size as yours, but very different tools. Well, the condition is not as good because it's stained and was properly used obviously. Most unusual are the four different types of shell extractors which are: two within the bolsters cal. 12 and 16, the special hook itself and the hole in the hook. The latter fits to the pin of the french Lefaucheux ammunition.

Regards

Abu

PS: The spring-knife is excellent again!

That is a great knife Abu, thanks for the picture. Enclosed is a 1930 catalog description from Wingen for a model very similar to yours less the saw blade.

Nice knife with an unusual marking Allen!

Obviously the knife was contract made by Anton Wingen Jr.
Hüser & Clauberg used different brandnames and trademarks for marking cutlery, including a logo with the letters H.C. anyway not with a "-" dash and the butcher's block with the cleaver was not registered by Hüser & Clauberg.

My records are showing up this tradmark being registered by Gustav Emil Ern.

regards
cut

Thank you cut for this valuable information.

Enclosed is a fixed blade model by Wingen. I have always admired this style of German hunting knife.

Back